The first book of its kind, this huge, collected history offers an extensive look at the most important big band in modern jazz. Chapters and features include:
- Large, high quality glossy pages and hardcover (328 pages, 11 x 9)
- New interviews with more than 30 current and former band members and other experts
- Complete discography featuring album cover art, personnel, arrangers, soloists, and recording information from all 32 of the band’s albums
- Hundreds of rare photos, many never before seen
- Images of rare memorabilia such as posters, concert tickets, vintage advertisements and tour itineraries
- In-depth features on Mel Lewis and the music of Thad Jones, Bob Brookmeyer and Jim McNeely
- Profiles of all current members of the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra
- Complete listing of personnel throughout the band’s history
- Exclusive coverage and photos of the 50th anniversary celebration
"This erudite work—for which Allen and Lisik supplemented extensive archival research...blends the graphic extravagance of a sumptuous coffee-table book with the textual rigor of a catalogue raisonné in tracing the musical path of New York’s nonpareil Vanguard Jazz Orchestra and the milieu in which it flourished."
"Such a legacy deserves nothing but the finest documentation and indeed that is exactly what it gets. This book is a must-own for any fan of this ensemble."
All About Jazz